Thursday, September 18, 2008

Another Song Within a Song

OK - here is another one. I like Gnarls Barkley. Not all of their stuff - but some of it is so unique and interesting. Anyway - as soon as I heard their song "Storm Coming" I had that familiar feeling that there was a song in there that I had already heard. It bugged me and it bugged me and it bugged me until I finally figured it out.

This may seem out there - but I am sure I am right. The underlying sound in "Storm Coming" sounds like Kim Wilde's 1980s tune "You Keep Me Hangin' On." Listen to the Kim Wilde song (enjoy the 80s flashback) especially nearer the end when the tempo picks up and then listen to the Gnarls Barkley tune (don't mind the video - just a Youtube offering). In "Storm Coming" at about 1:10 in - it kicks in most clearly but it is in the background throughout the song. I actually looked at the disc liner to see if they gave credit for sampling "You Keep Me Hangin' On" but there is nothing there. In "Storm Coming" the tempo is much faster - but I think it is there.

Do you hear it too?





No comments: