Wednesday, July 2, 2008

What I Am Reading Now



I am re-reading Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet . I read Pillars about 12 years ago (before Oprah had heard of it) and I loved it. Now there is a sequel coming out (or maybe it is already out) and so I thought before I bought and read the sequel I would re-read Pillars. I have hardly made a dent in the 1000 page novel but it is as good as I remember. If you have not read it I highly recommend it. I look forward to getting to the sequel!




I am also just beginning the new Confessional Dogmatics series Law and Gospel & the Means of Grace by David P. Scaer. I have appreciated the other volumes in the Confessional Dogmatics series and I have heard good things about this latest offering.






I have recently finished reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy. It was a very quick read (1 day) and I enjoyed it. Well, I am not sure I can say I enjoyed it as the subject matter is very bleak and chilling (a post-apocalyptic setting). I was moved to read it by a review of the book in a great journal called Touchstone.



And just before I read The Road I read A Seminary in Crisis by Paul A. Zimmerman. This book was a history regarding the events of the early 70`s in the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod and the controversy at Concordia Seminary - St. Louis, MO. A good read and it is an especially important for people today who are not familiar with those events to be familiar with the happenings as they still effect the Lutheran Church to this day.

No comments: